Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Busy, busy, dreadfully busy....

To say that life is busy seems like a gross understatement! I am not complaining - that's just the way it is. I can't think of very many nights when we are not involved in something or have something going on.

We're all busy right?

I often wonder if our mother's or grandmother's were this busy. I am not at all implying that they weren't busy during the day - but I wonder if they took on all of the extra-curricular things that we involve (i involve) ourselves in.

I have been wondering lately what it is about my generation of mom's that makes us so busy? Are we more involved at church, in our communities, in politics, in social circles, than our mother's were? Are things just busier nowadays or more things going on?

Why weren't we being bustled off to play dates, and parties, and outings, and activities? Sure, our parents took us to our games and recitals - but don't you think that we are involving ourselves in so much more?

We are creative, and crafty (as in crafts...not behavior!), social, entrepreneurs, etc....

I am not saying that our mom's were lazy for not doing all of these things - i am suggesting that maybe they had the right idea. Maybe LESS is MORE.

Are we focusing on what is MOST important? Are our MOTIVES right in all of our activities? Do we really need everyone in the world to know that we are great homemakers - or are we truly being keepers of our homes?

I know that I have been guilty of jealousy of other mom's who get accolades and recognition for things that I think I deserve. "I'm creative, I can decorate, I am thrifty, I have good ideas, I like those sorts of things too, I can sew ruffles onto my shirt too! (LOL)!!" What a shame to be more concerned with what the World thinks of me than being concerned about how I am taking care of my family before God.

It is what's most important. It is most important that my Husband and Children "rise up and call me blessed" than it is if any of you ever do (sorry.). It is MOST important that I hear "Well done though good and FAITHFUL servant" from my Lord.

I want to live out this life with God's best in mind. I want to do/be the woman who mirrors her life after the Prov. 31 woman. Not for the praises of men - but for the Glory of God.


Proverbs 31:10-31 (The Message)

A good woman is hard to find,
and worth far more than diamonds.

Her husband trusts her without reserve,
and never has reason to regret it.

Never spiteful, she treats him generously
all her life long.

She shops around for the best yarns and cottons,
and enjoys knitting and sewing.

She's like a trading ship that sails to faraway places
and brings back exotic surprises.

She's up before dawn, preparing breakfast
for her family and organizing her day.

She looks over a field and buys it,
then, with money she's put aside, plants a garden.

First thing in the morning, she dresses for work,
rolls up her sleeves, eager to get started.

She senses the worth of her work,
is in no hurry to call it quits for the day.

She's skilled in the crafts of home and hearth,
diligent in homemaking.

She's quick to assist anyone in need,
reaches out to help the poor.

She doesn't worry about her family when it snows;
their winter clothes are all mended and ready to wear.

She makes her own clothing,
and dresses in colorful linens and silks.

Her husband is greatly respected
when he deliberates with the city fathers.

She designs gowns and sells them,
brings the sweaters she knits to the dress shops.

Her clothes are well-made and elegant,
and she always faces tomorrow with a smile.

When she speaks she has something worthwhile to say,
and she always says it kindly.

She keeps an eye on everyone in her household,
and keeps them all busy and productive.

Her children respect and bless her;
her husband joins in with words of praise:

"Many women have done wonderful things,
but you've outclassed them all!"

Charm can mislead and beauty soon fades.

The woman to be admired and praised
is the woman who lives in the Fear-of-God.

Give her everything she deserves!
Festoon her life with praises!

Are you too busy? Maybe we need to take some time to reevaluate what is the most important so that we, like our moms, can be women who ARE busy...but mostly in the things that matter the most.

2 comments:

Jennifer @ A Fine Romance said...

Shyla, check out my recent blog/bible study about this very thing...I am doing a study on the book The 10 Best Decisions a Woman Can Make and the first few chapters are to do with what you are talking about...finding significance in things that aren't important (jam packing our schedules full of things to make us feel relevant - often keeping up with the spiritual Joneses (or the crafty or the sporty) if you will) vs. finding our significance in God alone. I definitely think that less is more. Though also think that MORE is more when it comes to a relationship with the One that matters the most. God must increase and our schedules must decrease. :) The women of the older generations definitely had the right idea!

Unknown said...

I wholeheartedly agree, Shyla! It's not easy or popular to say no to extra activities and give our best to being a "keeper at home" but I am deeply convicted it is God's best for us.

Related Posts with Thumbnails