Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Soup's On!!

Kale and Smoked Sausage Soup (I made MANY CHANGES i noted in ALL CAPS)

2lbs Kale Greens (BOUGHT A BAG OF IT @WALMART FOR $3.98)
14 0z. Beef Broth (32 OZ box i had on hand)
3 C. water
1 c. lentils washed (NO LENTILS ON HAND...USED KIDNEY BEANS)
1/2 c. turkey sausage diced (CHOSE TO CUT MEATBALLS I HAD ON HAND)
2/3 c. diced yellow onion (WHOLE ONION)
1/2 c chopped celery (NO CELERY IN THE HOUSE)
1-2 garlic cloves chopped (ESTIMATED)
2 t. olive oil (SKIPPED)
1 T flour
2T water

Bring broth and water to boil in large stock pot. Add lentils and sausage. Cover and cook on low heat for 15 min.

(I SKIPPED THE SKILLET PART AND JUST PUT IT ALL TOGETHER AT ONCE IN THE POT - EXCEPT FOR THE KALE.)In a skillet - saute onions, celery and garlic in Olive Oil. Mix flour and water together until smooth and then add to mix. in skillet. pour skillet mix into the broth. Add kale and bring to a low boil. Cover and cook for 30 min.

serves 10-12.

IT. WAS. SO. GOOD. Who knew Kale was good for anything other than decorating and garnishing!? :)

I also paired it with these delicious muffins!

Honey Applesauce Muffins

1 1/4 cups unsweetened applesauce
1 egg
2 tablespoons canola or corn oil
1/4 cup honey
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/3 cup raisins

In a large bowl, beat together the applesauce, egg, oil and honey. Sift in the dry ingredients; stirring just to moisten. Stir in the raisins and divide the batter among 12 muffin cups coated with nonstick cooking spray. Bake at 375F for 20 minutes. 12 servings.

Let me know if you try it and what you think.

3 comments:

Jenny said...

that sounds great! I have used kale in soup before, I think an Olive Garden knock off of Zuppa Toscana? I would recommend that one too, for sure. :-) I will have to try the muffins - my kiddos are muffin monsters. Thanks for the new recipes!

Jaime O said...

I think I'm going to have to try making those muffins soon! Thanks for sharing.

Tricia said...

I'm excited to try both of these!

Related Posts with Thumbnails