Friday, June 13, 2008

No More whining!!


This is something i am VERY excited to get into!! We are dealing with the "whinies" and i must day there is nothing that wears me down easier than listening to jackson talk to me in a high pitched "mommy, i need juuuuice!!" AHHH!!!

So, i am at a convention with nathan this weekend helping him at his booth and i saw a booth behind us for "Preparing the Way Ministries". I love Ginger Plowman's books.






I have throughly enjoyed "Don't make be count to 3!" and am looking forward to implementing her "Wise words for moms".

All of this to say, today i got to meet Ginger Plowman! I was able to talk to her for a long time about how i have been using her books and what i am learning. I mentioned that i have been dealing now with whining. I saw that she had a "kit" on her table called "No more whining!" and i asked her about it. I am sooo excited about this. I told her that i had never seen it before and she said that it is 2 months old. Anyway, it comes with a guide for parents and then there is a story that you read to your child about a boy named Will who whines and his mom gives him a watch that is a timer. When he whines he has to push the timer on his watch (that is 3 minutes) and when the timer goes off, he can try to ask his mom again properly before he gets whatever it is that he is asking for. You give your child the same watch that Will has and they are able to learn the same way as they have heard in the story. I have been reading through the Parent's book and i am encouraged and excited to try it.

So, here goes!! I'll keep you all posted.
Here's to a whine-less rohrer home! :)

7 comments:

Tracy said...

Shyla, I've been using Ginger Plowman's No More Whining kit for the last two weeks now, and I've loved it (so do my kids!). We had purchased an extra watch to use it for Lydia. It has been a blessing, and both of my girls have responded very well to the reminder of speaking with self-control and asking for things respectfully. I hope you have as great success as I have.

I also highly recommend her audio/DVD set "Reaching the Heart of Your Child" It's a wonderful reminder of how to teach our kids the put off/ put on method of character training.

christina said...

loved "don't make me count to 3". my aunt got it for my sister and me for our first christmas as new mommies. i am probably going to try to read it again as a refresher for meg. i'm definitely keeping my eyes peeled for that whining kit now that i know it's out there. what a great idea.

Anonymous said...

Hi Shyla, I googled the No More Whining kit and was excited to see your post and learn more about it. I LOVE "Don't Make Me Count to 3" and am so jealous that you got to meet Ginger Plowman! The whining kit sounds great and I'm planning to order it. I feel like dealing with whining is a huge part of my day, and I struggle with how to address it biblically. I hope your no-whining training is a success!
Marissa

Sara said...

I'll have to check out those books! I am WITH YOU on the whining--nothing worse to me than that. Gage isn't there yet, but I deal with it with Grace (the little one I nanny). Thanks for the tidbit.
And it was fun catching up with you. Been a while...

Troy & Sherry said...

hey friend-
i am sure you saw that we had jacob on june 7th - hard to believe that it has already nearly been a month already -
i hope you are well - miss you friend!

Troy & Sherry said...

hey friend-
i am sure you saw that we had jacob on june 7th - hard to believe that it has already nearly been a month already -
i hope you are well - miss you friend!

Sylvia said...

I need to finish reading don't make me count to 3.....need to find that whining book! Definitely have that in our house too.

Related Posts with Thumbnails