Monday, April 24, 2006

Since when did you become such a princess?

ok, everyone who knows me, understands that I do not come from a background where I got whatever I wanted, nor was I a spoiled brat who would whine to get what I wanted. That being said - when did i become such a brat... here's the story.

I have been soooo looking forward to getting things for the baby - i mean, what first time mom isn't excited about looking for furniture, decorating, etc...

-My crib is a trade from a friend and I was so excited to be able to trade my spindle crib for her sleigh crib - the Lord provided....
- The glider is from a friend who no longer needs it and she just gave it to me for free - the Lord provided again~!
- Then, it was the arduous task of finding a dresser for the baby's room - looked for months! Then I laid in bed one night frustrated and it dawned on me that I hadn't even asked the Lord to provide a dresser - DUH!! 2 days later, my friend told me that she had THREE dressers that I could choose from if I would like!!
- We found a change table at a garage sale that is older and SUPER sturdy (not like a babiesrus particle board wobbly one...) for $5.00!!! God is sooooo good.

So, where does the brat part come in... STAY TUNED!!!

I have been reading and reading about a stroller/travel systems/carseats etc... thankfully Nathan and I found one that we both agreed on that was great quality and I was SO excited about getting. I registered for the pack and play that I wanted and we were good to go! Just had to wait for our shower (or our tax refund to come in :)

Enter Brat....

At my surprise shower Nate's cousin let us know that she had a travel system we could borrow and a pack and play - some of you may be thinking "wow, that's so great! God provided for them again!!) I thanked her for the offer and then on the way home and for the next few days I was soooooooooo upset (disappointed) b/c (enter 3 year old whining...) I wanted the stroller I picked out and I didn't want her stuff... I am hating myself even as I type it!!

So, the next week, I went over to Laurie's house to pick up the stroller and pack and play. She showed me how to use the stroller and I told her that I could figure out how to use the pack and play.

I drove home, nathan unloaded the goods and I then began to see how the Lord wanted to give me more than I could ever ask for... not only had it dawned on me that He had saved us $300 for a travel system b/c we could borrow his cousin's, but he gave us a BEAUTIFUL pack and play that is black and creme toile AND IT MATCHES OUR BEDROOM!!! I was so ashamed of my "spoiled brat" attitude - even if no one but my husband saw it, The Lord saw it and He knew the whole time what was in store for me!

His mercies are new EVERY morning (i am so grateful!) and when He asks me to wait, it is to build good character in me. (man! you would think i would learn!)

So...the moral of the story is - No matter what I desire to have for myself, it pales in comparison to what the Lord desires for me!

14 comments:

Hairgrove Hangout said...

He will show you GREAT and MIGHTY things which you do not yet know!! What an AWESOME
God we serve. Praising God with you three over His goodness and kindness (even down to the details) with you. Love, Momma Hair

Kelli said...

That is AWESOME Shyla! The Lord never ceases to amaze me. I love the black and white toille and that is so neat that it matches your room! I am sure you are having so much fun getting everything ready for baby Rohrer! The baby will be here soon!

Jenny said...

Ain't that the truth! God is constantly dumping blessings on our little thick heads...I know that feeling well, Shyla. Praise God for His provision!

Heather said...

To me it is always a blessing to see God provide for my family...unfortunately, I don't always see it as a blessing till later on down the road!

I loved reading your blog and the joy in your words on how the Lord has provided for you and Nate! He is so Awesome isn't He?

Unknown said...

i totally empathize dear. i was hoping we wouldn't get the pack n play that matt made us register for bcuz it was so plain and cheap! God cared for my desires and instead we received gift cards for target so that I could get the pack n play i really wanted!

God is so good in caring not only for our needs but also for our desires. :)

When are we going to get to see pix of your designer nursery? And I'd love to be your doula (to answer your previous comment 2 posts ago) but I'd recommend an epidural. :)

Shyla said...

Alicia: you'll see the "designer nursery" when i win the lottery! as far as the nursery goes...it's is completely emtpy and awaiting my dear hubby to finish painting all of the furniture. I am afraid I won't have pics of a finished nursery until after the baby- but i'd be happy to send empty room pics to tide you over until them! :)

pamela s said...

Totally understand. I can't believe that I pout like a 3 year old when I don't get my way. It makes me so mad when those feelings come on. God is so gracious to us!

Carrie said...

What a great post, Shyla! I love seeing how God provides for every one of our needs and so many things that we just "want." He has done this for us time and again . . . in fact, most of our baby "equipment" was passed on to us by family and friends, or received at a shower! That pack-and-play is beautiful, BTW!! Will baby sleep in your room for a while to start with? Ours will, in a pack-and-play beside the bed. I didn't do that with my first, but I'm thinking it will make it a lot easier for nighttime nursing this time around.

So, you must be getting pretty excited to have the baby, right?! I'm so antsy to have ours--it could be anytime now and I'm hoping for sooner rather than later! :) Take care and thanks for sharing your blessings!

carissa said...

what a blessing, challenge, and encouragement to share of our GREAT GOD! I want a swing-set and you've reminded me of the great privilege I have to pray about such an "unimportant" thing. THANKS SHYLA...ONLy a few days to go!!

Karen said...

Aren't we so silly and foolish? The pack-N-play is gorgeous; your little one will know early on how much the Lord loves her and DELIGHTS in giving her good things... better things than even Mama had in mind! Stories like this one make me feel sorry for those who don't know the Lord and don't experience his rich blessings.

Karen said...

Oops. Just because I'm having a girl doesn't mean you are, too. :)
Sorry, Jackson, if you can hear me!

Abby said...

We always say in our church group that even on our best days, God's plan for us is SO much bigger and better. How can that be?! God is so good and such a provider!

Unknown said...

Shyla, That is so awesom how God provides for His children. I can't wait to see baby Rohrer. Is there anything else that you still need for the nursery or anything? Let me know, I'll be happy to get anything for the new arrival.

drewmscott said...

Shyla!!! it was so awesome to hear from you. i have thought about sending you a note or comment so many times but i wasnt sure you would remember me. i do know your sister. she is sweet. i really like her. i dont really know her that well, but i know that she was probably the basketball team's biggest fan this year so i really appreciated that. she even made a sign once. i think she wa actually awarded the prestigious 'fan of the year' award. anywaym i didnt even know my mom had a blogger site, but i will help her if i can. anyway, so i am totally jealous of the 6th row seat at the Sixers game, but I guess i cant complain because i did get to go to the Final Four this year. and i sat on the 18th row for the championship game. it was awesome! anyway, thanks for remembering me and caring enough to send me a note. keep in touch.

drew

Related Posts with Thumbnails