Friday, December 16, 2005

Happy RamaHanuKwanzMas

Sheesh! Can you imagine having to say that to every person who passed by you this season?
We're on our way there folks!

What are your thoughts?
Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays....or does it matter?

I think that this whole issue has been blown WAY out of proportion. I never thought anything when someone would say "Happy Holidays" or "Seasons Greetings" to me, and now with the backlash of such things as department stores putting "Happy Holidays" up in their stores instead of Merry Christmas, or even people saying "Merry Christmas" and someone being offended and saying in return "Happy Hanakah" or "Happy Kwanza"....give me a break. It's Christmas! Nathan and I were talking about this and whenever we had ever heard "Happy holidays" it was meant to cover Christmas and New Years - the holidays!

Also, another issue that has irritated me is the contoversy over the President's Christmas card. People (namely "conservative Christians") are in an uproar that the President's card said "Happy Holidays" on the front instead of Merry Christmas. These people decided to get angry and pass judgement before they even opened the card that the President didn't even HAVE to send out to them! If they would have held back for a moment....they would have seen that there was a whole passage of scripture at the top of the card from Psalms...mind you, it wasn't "the Authorized Version" and that may have potentially ruffled feathers even more. I digress.....

This has never been an issue to me as far as how people greet me during Christmas. Now, I find myself even stressing over what Photo Greeting Card to choose depending on what it says...dont' want to offend!

So, let me know what your thoughts are...whether you agree or disagree.

And this holiday season...have a Happy RamaHanuKwanzMas! (wink)

1 comments:

Katie said...

I tend to agree with you. I usually make a point of saying Merry Christmas but do not expect the world to celebrate the birth of Christ along with me. I don't care if department stores say "Happy Holidays" - just as long as those who wish to say "Merry Christmas" do not get political correctness poo poo for it. (I too consider "Happy Holidays" a greeting covering both Christmas and New Year.)

A funny story along this line . . . When I was nearing the end of my job in Minneapolis, my manager was interviewing people to replace me. She had a list of duties that were part of the job description; on the list was "mailing Christmas cards, planning Christmas parties, etc." During an interview, my manager placed the paper between herself and the job candidate. The woman had the nerve to cross out each "Christmas" and pencil in "Holiday!"

So, Merry Christmas!

Katie

Related Posts with Thumbnails