Thursday, January 21, 2010

My 6 week Challenge!


So, here is one of the things that I wanted to try on this "quest" for deliberateness. I have seen other people on various blogs try it and when i have begun it in the past it seemed to daunting. But, today, I sucked it up - went through my pantry/freezer and sev-er-al hours later, I emerged with what I hope will be a money saving venture!

Now, perhaps you've done this and you have some handy tips - or maybe I am just OCD and want everything to look organized (on paper anyway :) but i rewrote my lists a few times.

The first time I went through my pantry, I wrote down everything as I found it. I generally try to keep like items together, but i knew the freezer was going to be interesting. I wrote down the item with a circle beside it representing how many of that item i had. Then i rewrote the entire list again in categories so that I could see everything more clearly for planning purposes later.
Then, began going through my list and actually coming up with meals. Time.Con.Suming!! I enjoy cooking and making healthful meals for my family - I don't typically use recipes - or i search through them to get the gist of a recipe and then do my own thing. So, this part took considerable time since I needed to figure out everything i was making in advance instead of flying by the seat of my pants. I think this is where i may end up running to the grocery store and spending $$ last minute on something i need to make my concoction work. I am looking forward to seeing the savings.

Have you ever tried to come up with 42 meals at once? My. brain. is . fried. For me it was figuring out the meals, paying attention to what days they were on and if leftovers typically are available after that meal. PHEW!

Tell me. Am I making this hard? I don't mind at the end of it...but i got little else done this afternoon.

Then I made up my calendar for the meals and simultaneously created my shopping list for the corresponding week. Pretty slim lists. ME LIKEY!



So, here's to the next 6 weeks! I'd type out my menu for you, but i think i've rewritten them enough today! :)

And now, I shall enjoy this cup of happiness!

Have you heard of the Eat from the Pantry Challenge? Have you done it? How did it effect your family?

6 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Have heard of the eat from the pantry challenge. Have NOT tried it. It seems like a huge planning project (just like it was for you!) & somehow I just can't make myself do it. And my hubby isn't huge on having a big menu plan. I try to make a weekly menu & we still end up deviating at least once. He keeps my life interesting!:-) Good luck to you & let us know about your savings! It just might motivate me to try the challenge *grin*

Jaime O said...

Way to go, Shyla!

Tricia said...

I really need to clean/find out what's really lurking in my freezer. Maybe today's the day...I'm not sure if I'll turn that into a full blown pantry challenge, but I'm sure it will be helpful to plan some meals with my discoveries!

Unknown said...

I've seen this over at money saving mom but I've been too chicken and disorganized to try it! I usually do a weekly menu list which I find very helpful but every week I ABHOR planning and it putting it together. Also, my pantry is pretty scarce so I doubt we could eat from it for an entire week.

GREAT job on your lists and planning! I truly admire your discipline and organization. I certainly don't want to ask you to retype your list but I'm very curious about the meals you planned. They looked intriguing -- I'm afraid we get into a bit of a rut with our menus as I try to please everyone's tastes and make balanced meals.

Karen said...

WOW, what a daunting task!
What a relief, though, I'm sure! Of late, eating from the pantry as been our regular M.O. :) Great job!

Heather said...

I have never done six weeks at a time but on a normal basis (as of lately) I do three weeks at a time. We have changed our diet and certain items from the grochery store will go bad if I don't plan meals with that ingredient in the meal right away. I should blog about the changes we have made...maybe one day when I have internet back I will be able to do it. :)

Great job on the lists. I will agree that my OCDness would make me go crazy!! :) Writing and rewriting lists...I am known for!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails